A one pot meal with no oil-A calcium rich meal in just few minutes
Another traditional dish from my family. A must have dish for pregnant and lactating women in our family.
It can be a baby food but ensure to increase water used for cooking so that it gets mashed well.A very healthy dish for teenage girls and women. Eat once in a week and reduce the chances of bone illness in late 40’s. An ideal baby food above 8 or 9 months. It helps in building strong bones and healthy weight gain in babies. Refer urad dhal mix for 6 months baby here and idly recipe for 8 month plus here.
- Whole Urad Dhal-1/2 cup(black/white)
- Rice-1 cup
- Coconut grated-3 tbsp
- Salt-To taste
- Turmeric powder-A pinch
1.Wash and soak rice,urad dhal for 10 minutes.
2.In a cooking vessel, add rice and urad dhal.
3.Place it in pressure cooker and stir well by adding garlic,coconut,salt,turmeric powder with 3 cups of water.
4.Let it cook for 3 whistles.
5.As the pressure gets released,mix well.
6.Serve it hot with coconut thuvaiyal or ellu(sesame thuvaiyal)
This also goes well with curd and jaggery.
Add a spoon of ghee in step 3 for enhanced taste.
Using black urad dhal(with skin) enriches the nutrient value.
The water quantity is same as the usual water measurement you use daily to cook rice.
I use the ratio of 1:2(rice:water). Use 1:3 if you are making it for babies.
The number of whistles depends on your pressure cooker.
If you using black dhal,soak for 3 hours and cook .
Always have a word with pediatrician before introducing new foods for babies.
Black dhal can be used for babies above one year.
Avoid salt for babies below one year.
Facts about urad dhal:
- It is Ulutham/ulunthu Paruppu in Tamil ,english,Urad dhuli, Urad chilka, Urad sabut , Urad saboot,Kali dal in Hindi,Minappappu in Telugu and Uzhunnu Parrippu – Malayalam
- Moong dhal and urad dhal are known for improving the weight of babies in an optimal and healthy way.
- It is a store house of folic acid,calcium,magnesium,essential fatty acids and protein and hence highly recommended for women. It is a must have during puberty , monthly menstrual cycle ,pregnancy and lactation in our family tradition. Hoping to post ulunthu kali soon.
- It is an energy booster and its anti-inflammatory properties helps you in keeping away from joint pains.
- It improves digestion and hence it is used in every dish during tempering.
- It helps in improving bone strength and uterus strength.
- There is even research evidence suggesting that diets containing high contents of urad dal prevent Alzheimer’s and Dementia. So it is good for even the older generation.