Yet another traditional recipe from grandmother.
- Idly rice – 1 cup
- Toor dhal-1handful
- Red chilly-2
- Onion-1/2 cup finely chopped
- Salt-To taste
- Oil-To cook
- Dry roast rice separately. Roast it in slow flame until the rice begins slightly coloured.
- Soak the rice and dhal for 2 hours.
- Grind the rice,dhal,red chilly into a slightly coarse paste.
- The batter has to be thick.So while grinding add water accordingly.
- Add chopped onion and spread the batter on a greased dosa tava.
- Sprinkle oil immediately after spreading batter.
- Cook by closing it one side and then flipping the other side and cook.
It goes well with onion green chilly chutney,jaggery and home made butter. This is the traditional combo which we follow at home.
Roasting the rice is the most important step in this recipe. If you roast it brown the taste will change.
This batter is not for second use by storing in refrigerator
This can be made into a dosa by adding more water to batter and making it slightly thicker than dosa batter.
Making the adai needs lots of patience. Make it very carefully otherwise it will break..