This recipe hails from my native and I never used to like it until I made it for the first time.Poricha Kulambu is the common name for this dish.But we call it pulilacurry(புளிலா கறி) in our home. It means curry without tamarind.(புளி இல்லா கறி). They usually make it when someone suffers from cold as the main flavour comes from pepper and cumin seeds.This is an unique and typical recipe from grandmom. You can add drumstick/snake gourd/board beans or cabbage instead of drumstick leaves.
- Drumstick leaves – 1 cup
- Moong dhal-1/2 cup
- Turmeric Powder-1/4 tsp
- Salt-To taste
- Hing-A pinch
- Oil -To cook
To dry roast and powder:
- Coconut-1 tbsp grated
- Toor dhal-1/4 tbsp
- Cumin seeds-1/4 tbsp
- Urad dhal-Less than 1/4 tbsp
- Red Chilly-1
- Wash the drumstick leaves well.
- Cook moong dhal in pressure cooker after washing and soaking it for 10 minutes.
- Take a kadai and dry roast all ingredients I have mentioned under “To dry roast and powder” by adding one after the other in medium flame.
- Add oil in the pan and temper with mustard seeds,urand and curry leaves.
- Now add the drumstick leaves and saute well by adding turmeric powder and hing.
- Add little water and cook the leaves.
- When it starts boils,add the powder which was coarsely powdered and give a quick stir.
- Add some more water and mix the mashed dhal to the kadai.
- Let it boil for 10 minutes
- Finally add salt and serve hot.
If you wish you can add one red chilly when you temper to increase spicy level.
The cooking time varies depending on the veggie added.
You can also add the powder while you saute the leaves. This will give a rich flavour.
This is a protein and iron rich recipe very suitable for someone who is down with sore throat,cold and cough.