A very common dish which occupies our plate and sambhar seems like the prime dish for most vegetarians.A very simple recipe for everyone.
- Radish-1 medium sized
- Shallots-5 to 8
- Tamarind extract-1/4 cup
- Toor dhal-1/2 cup
- Sambhar Powder-1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tbsp
- Hing-1/4 tbsp
- Salt- To taste
- Oil- To cook
- Mustard seeds-1/4 tbsp
- Urad dhal-1/4 tbsp
- Curry leaves
- Coconut-2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tbsp
- Wash and soak the toor dhal for 10 minutes.
- Pressure cook the dhal and set it aside.
- Wash the radish,peel the skin and cut it into round pieces.
- Add oil in a kadai and temper with mustard seeds,urad dhal and curry leaves.
- Now add the shallots. When shallots turn transparent add radish and saute well.
- Add hing,turmeric powder and sambhar powder. Give a quick stir.
- Add water and let the radish cook.
- Meanwhile in a mixer , grind the grated coconut and cumin seeds by adding 2 tbsp of water and set it aside.
- When radhish is cooked well,mash the dhal and add .
- Add tamarind extract and salt and give a quick boil.
- Finally add the coconut+cumin seeds paste and give a quick stir.
- Let it boil for 2 minutes. Switch the kadai and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice
Ensure that the radish is cooked before adding tamarind extract.
After adding coconut+cumin seeds paste if you feel the sambhar is diluted ,you can let it boil for some more time.
Adjust the level of sambhar powder as per your taste.
I prefer adding hing,turmeric and sambhar powder while I saute veggies,so that the flavour sticks to them too. If you wish you can add it even after step 9.
In the same recipe you can use brinjal,ridge gourd,drum stick,raw mango,pumpkin instead of radish. The boiling time will vary depending on cooking time of the vegetable.
You can also precook the veggie for 2 whistles in pressure cooker if you feel the veggie to be not so fresh.