The name itself means “mixed rice”. It is nothing but a traditional version of our vegetable biriyani/rice. A very nutritious dish which is made of all pulses and vegetables.
Boiled rice-1 cup
Toor dhal-1/4 cup
Gram dhal-1/8 cup
Tamarind Extract-50 ml
Mustard seeds-1/4 tbsp
Urad dhal-1/4 tbsp
Coconut grated-2 tbsp
Cumin seeds-1/4 tbsp
Vegetables comprise of 10 shallots,2 green chillies,finely chopped pieces of onion,potato,elephant yam,snake gourd,broad beads,plantain,brinjal,colocasia(seppankilangu),drumstick,drumstick leaves,raw mango and araikeerai.
- Pressure cook vegetables like potato,elephant yam,colocasia and set it aside.
- Saute vegetables like shallots,snake gourd,onion,board beans,green chilly and set it aside
- Add 7 cups of water and add washed dhals,rice and rest of the vegetables and mix well.
- Now add tamarind extract,turmeric powder and salt.
- Add vegetables pressure cooked and sauteed and mix it well.
- Let the rice cook well in the open pan. Keep mixing to avoid burning in the bottom.
- In a kadai temper mustard seeds,urad dhal and red chilly.
- Deep fry vadagam and appalam.
- Add results of step 7 and 8 to the rice and mix well.
- When the rice and dhal is cooked, mix well and serve it hot.