- Chow Chow-1 medium sized
- Onion-1/2 cup finely chopped
- Green chilly-1 finely chopped
- Tamarind extract-1/4 cup
- Hing-A pinch
- Turmeric Powder-A pinch
- Salt-To taste
- Oil-To Cook
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tbsp
- Urad Dhal-1/2 tbsp
- Curry leaves
- Wash,peel off the chow chow skin and cut them into small pieces.
- In a kadai,add oil and temper with mustard seeds,urad dhal and curry leaves.
- Add green chilly,onion and chopped chow chow and saute them well.
- Add hing and turmeric powder and give quick stir.
- Add water and let the ridge gourd cook.
- When the vegetable is cooked 90%,add tamarind extract and salt.
- Let it boil and stop cooking when it reaches sambar consistency.
- Serve it hot with idly.
You can add more chillies to adjust your taste.
To finish the cooking earlier,you can grate them and cook it in idly cooker before sauting.