This recipe would be hopefully very new to most of you.This will be an excellent side dish to idly. Your morning cooking will have a change with this dish.People who wish to avoid coconut chutney can very well go with my recipes of khicidis.
- Ridge Gourd-1 medium sized
- Onion-1/2 cup finely chopped
- Green chilly-1 finely chopped
- Tamarind extract-1/4 cup
- Hing-A pinch
- Turmeric Powder-A pinch
- Salt-To taste
- Oil-To Cook
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tbsp
- Urad Dhal-1/2 tbsp
- Curry leaves
- Wash,peel off the ridge gourd skin and cut them into small pieces.
- In a kadai,add oil and temper with mustard seeds,urad dhal and curry leaves.
- Add green chilly,onion and chopped ridge gourd and saute them well.
- Add hing and turmeric powder and give quick stir.
- Add water and let the ridge gourd cook.
- When the ridge gourd is cooked 90%,add tamarind extract and salt.
- Let it boil and stop cooking when it reaches sambar consistency.
- Serve it hot with idly.
You can add more chillies to adjust your taste.
To cook ridge gourd soon,you can grate them and cook it in idly cooker before sauting.