My Mother In Law’s recipe of kara kulambu is as below. It sees so simple but it will surely tickle in your tongue for hours.If you love a spicy menu in your lunch give a try.
- Tomato-1 finely chopped
- Sambhar powder-1 tbsp
- Hing-1 1/4 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder-1/4 tbsp
- Tamarind extract-1 and 1/2 cups
- Salt-To taste
- Gingelly Oil-To cook
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tbsp
- Urad dhal-1/2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds-1/4 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds-1/4 tbsp
- Curry leaves
- Heat oil in a kadai and temper with the above mentioned items.
- Add onion,tomato,garlic one after the other and saute it well.
- When the onion turns translucent add hing,turmeric powder and sambhar powder.
- Add half cup of water and let it boil.
- When it begins to boil add tamarind extract and salt.
- Mix it well and allow it to boil.
- Let it boil until it thickens and oil separates it out as a top layer.
- Serve it hot with rice.
The more the kulambu boils the tastier it is.