Yet another recipe from my MIL and myself and my husband tried it out first time hearing her recipe over phone. This is an excellent option when you are left with no vegetables at home or bored of cutting veggies. It happened to a successful attempt and I still can’t believe how it turned it out be so yummy.
Gram dhal-1/2 cup
Toor dhal-2 tbsp
Tamarind extract-1 and 1/2 cups(Diluted)
Sambhar powder-1 tbsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tbsp
Onion-1/4 cup(finely chopped)
Tomato-1/2 cup(finely chopped)
- Soak both the dhals together for 2 hours.
- Drain the water completely and grind it into a slightly coarse paste by adding red chilly.
- Add half of the chopped onion,grated coconut and salt to it and set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl,add turmeric powder,hing,salt,sambhar powder to tamarind extract and mix well.
- Add oil in a kadai,heat it and let mustard seeds splutter in it.
- Add chopped onion and tomato and saute.
- When tomato turns mushy,add the mixture made with tamarind extract and let it boil.
- In the meantime,make tiny balls out of the ground paste and set it aside.
- When bubbles arise,add these balls slowly one after the other.
- Cook in medium flame until the balls get cooked.
- Garnish with curry leaves and serve it hot with rice.
While grinding the dhals be careful in adding water.
The size of the balls should be compatible enough to get soaked in the curry. So roll the balls accordingly.
Adjust the count of red chillies as per your taste.
The balls will turn soft when they are cooked.