A favourite dish of the family for around four generations. A very simple and easy to do recipe.
- Tamarind Extract-1 cup
- Shallots-1/4 cup chopped
- Garlic-1/4 cup chopped
- Salt-To taste
- Hing-1/4 tbsp
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tbsp
- Oil-To cook
- Mustard Seeds-1/4 tbsp
- Urad dhal-1/4 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds-1/2 tbsp
- Red Chilly-2
- Curry leaves
- Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds and let it spultter
- Then add urad dhal,curry leaves,red chillies and fenugreek seeds.
- When curry leaves begins to crackle,reduce the flame because over toasting fenugreek seeds will add a bitter taste.
- Now add chopped shallot and garlic and saute in medium flame.
- When the oil turns golden brown add hing and turmeric and give a quick stir.
- Add around half cup of water and let it boil.
- When it begins to boil add the tamarind extract and let it boil.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Let it boil for 5 minutes and transfer to serving bowl.
- Serve it hot with rice.
Porikadalai thuvaiyal is a excellent combination.
You can also do tempering separately and add it at last.
The more shallots and garlic you add the tastier it is.
Adjust the level of red chilly as per your taste.