I have already posted seppankilangu more kulambu,a typical recipe from mom.Here is another version which was my first attempt.The first version of more kulambu which I tried by referring the web is as follows.
- Ladies finger-4
- Sour curd-1 cup
- Turmeric Powder-1/2 tbsp
- Salt-To taste
- Oil-To cook
- Mustard Seeds-1/2 tbsp
- Urad Dhal-1/2 tbsp
- Curry Leaves
To dry roast and grind:
- Urad dhal(whole)-1/2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds-1 tbsp
- Channa dhal-1/2 tbsp
- Green chilly-2
- Grated coconut-2 tbsp
- Wash and cut the ladies finger into 4 pieces each.
- Dry it in hot sun for an hour.
- Dry roast urad dhal,channa dhal,cumin seeds and grated coconut.
- Add green chilly and water and grind it into a fine paste.
- Meanwhile make around 1 and 1/2 cups of butter milk out of the curd and add salt.
- Mix it well and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai and temper with mustard seeds,urad dhal and curry leaves.
- When tempering is done,add ladies finger pieces and saute well until the stickiness disappears.
- Add the ground paste,hing,turmeric powder along with ladies finger and cook with water.
- When the ladies finger is cooked well add the buttermilk+salt mixture already prepared.
- Switch off the stove when the mixture is heated. Do not let it boil.
Drying ladies finger in sunlight will help in removing the sticky nature of ladies finger.
Instead of dry roasting you can soak chana dhal and grind it into a paste.
You can add red chilly instead green chilly if you wish.
Do not allow buttermilk to boil.The buttermilk will curdle and spoil the entire dish.
You can add any precooked vegetables like brinjal,bottle gourd,plantain pith,colocasia instead of ladies finger.
To enrich the dish garnish with chopped coriander leaves and fried vadagam.
An interesting ingredient that could be added instead of any vegetables would be paruppu urundai/paruppu vadai.