I have always made peerkkankai kolakari/khicidi for idly side dish. I tried to make a quick chutney out of ridgegourd due to lack of time.It came out so well and it turned out to be one of my favourites. The beauty of this vegetable is you can also use its skin to make thuvaiyal. I shall post that recipe in a couple of days.
- Ridge gourd – 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Red chilly – 2
- Tamarind – A small piece
- Half split urad dhal – 1 tsp
- Oil – To cook
- Salt – To taste
1.Add 1/2 tsp of oil in a kadai and heat it.
2.Add the red chillies and half split urad dhal and fry them.
3. Set them aside
4. Finely saute the chopped ridgegourd in medium flame until they turn soft.
5. Cool all the ingredients and add it to a blender along with salt and tamarind
6. Make it into a fine paste.
7. Tempering is optional.
Don’t discard the skin. It can be used to make thuvaiyal.
Choose tender and fresh ridgegourd.
You can also use green chillies instead of red chillies.
I also added the tamarind in step 4 itself.