Paneer/cottage cheese is a rich source of calcium,protein,vitamin B12,selenium,Vitamin D and Riboflavin. All those who are averse to milk can prefer paneer and it is such an yummy ingredient.I am so addicted to home made dishes and my trials on home made foods never ends. I have made paneer with lemon juice. But I read somehwere that curd can be used for a softer version. Hence I tried with it. Here is the recipe in 2 methods.I did this as finger food for my LO.Paneer can be your baby’s finger food for babies since 8 months.You can add crumbled paneer in purees,blend with purees,add to salads,stuff with dosa,apply on toasts,garnish with macroni for your babies. I did it fresh and consumed the very same day.You can refrigerate for a maximum of 15 days.
Curd-1/2 cup/Lemon Juice-Few drops
1.Boil milk in a clean vessel
2.When it begins to boil,add curd or lemon juice and bring to slow flame
3.Keep stirring in slow flame until the whey completely separates.
4.In the mean time place a large filter over a vessel and place a white muslin cloth in the filter.
5.When the whey is completely separated switch off the flame.
6.Pour the curdled milk in the filter slowly and carefully.
7.When the water is completely drained wash the whey in flowing water if you have added lemon juice.
8.Tie the cloth in a elevated place and place a vessel beneath.
9.Let it hang for 2 hours.
10.Now place the cloth,with the whey on chapathi maker and roll it evenly with pressure or use a heavy weight to flatten it.
11.Place a heavy weight(I used my mortor and pestel/iron dosa tava) for 6 hours.
12.Once it is set,remove from the cloth carefully and refrigerate for one hour .
13. Do not freeze. After that you can cut into pieces and store in a container.
14.Whenever you wish to use,remove it from the fridge and bring to room temperature and cool it and use.
I took care this time to make soft and neat pieces. So I followed the setting time strictly
Chop into small pieces so that gravy gets absorbed easily.
I chopped lengthwise for finger foods.
You can use vinegar also instead of curd or lemon.
Skip step 7 if you have used curd.
Better to flatten the paneer into a circle so that chopping is easy and waste is less.
I use the corner pieces as crumbled paneer in burji recipes.
I make it one day and use it the next day.
You can store in refrigerator for 2 weeks.
The images above are from curd with milk and images below is with lemon juice.
Health Benefits of paneer:Source: http://nutrition.indobase.com
- Cottage cheese is a great source of calcium, which is helpful in maintaining strong teeth and bones. Due to its low lactose content, it protects the teeth against harmful sugars.
- Cottage cheese contains Vitamin D, which along with calcium, facilitates in preventing cavities and wearing down of the tooth enamel. Hence, regular consumption of cottage cheese is helpful in preserving good dental health.
- Intake of cheese prevents osteoporosis that is caused due to the deficiency of calcium. Osteoporosis is common in women undergoing menopause, elderly people and children suffering from malnutrition. Cottage cheese is a rich source of protein, calcium, and vitamins which are necessary for proper bone health.
- Vitamins B complex, present in cottage cheese, are essential for the formation and strengthening of cartilage in children, women (pregnant and lactating) and men. These dairy products also facilitate proper absorption and distribution of calcium in the body and provide protection against diseases such as beriberi.
- For people who are underweight, cottage cheese helps you put on those extra pounds. It contains generous amount of proteins, fats, calcium, vitamins, and minerals, which help in boosting weight.
- The presence of conjugated linoleic acid and sphingolipids in cottage cheese makes it effective in preventing cancer.
- Cottage cheese is also known to enhance blood formation, strengthen the liver and facilitate absorption of nutrients.