Ragi/Finger millet or கேழ்வரகு is one of the miracle grains/millets and it is an abundant source of nutrition. It is one of the first foods for babies and also a very traditional grain of India. I have been incorporating millets in my cooking once or twice in a week and you can find my detailed writeup on MILLETS and various recipes of millets here. This pancake idea has been in my mind for a long time and I was hunting for pancake recipes without COOKING SODA & EGG. I found few alternatives for them and I am trying those. In the meantime yesterday evening my mother in law’s recipe of sweet ragi roti flashed my mind. I made small modifications and made a very quick INDO AMERICAN “ராகி/ கேழ்வரகு pancake”. It tasted yummm and it came out so soft melted in our mouths. The best part of this recipe is it is so instant and quick. All you need is 10 minutes and your super healthy yummy pancake is ready. This can be your breakfast/dinner/snack. This can be offered to babies who have completely 6 months of age after having introduced the ingredients individually.
Ingredients: (Makes 3)
- Home made Ragi Flour-1/2 cup
- Grated Jaggery-2 tbsp.
- Water-1/2 cup (Approx.)
- Salt-A pinch
- Banana-1 small/1/2 of big banana
- Oil-To grease
- I have used home made sprouted ragi flour. You can use store bought flour too.
- The batter consistency shouldn’t be too watery or too thick. So be careful while adding water.
- For babies below one year you can skip jaggery and salt.
- I added nendran banana and I purposefully let the banana pieces stay unmashed. You can completely make it into a paste and add to the batter.
- No settling time is required and It stays soft even after cooling.
- Adding nendran banana itself provides sufficient sweetness.
- Choose a ripe banana. Otherwise it would turn bitter.
- If you are using nendran/kerela banana remove the black centre part and mash for babies below one year as it might create indigestion.
- The tava shouldn’t get too hot while cooking.
- The colour depends on jaggery used.
- Please consult your doctor before introducing any new food to babies
Do you like my recipes? If yes please do not forget to stay tuned with me by following by blog here and liking my facebook page at www.facebook.com?KitchenKathukutty or follow me on Twitter. Do share this with your kith and kin. Do feel free to write to at firstname.lastname@example.org for any queries